Friday, December 2, 2011

The Shack

Book of Choice


The Shack
By: William P. Young


Background:
All of my family has read this book and said it was amazing. I only read the first paragraph of the summary so I had NO idea what was about to happen to me. I thought the story was going to be a murder-mystery... it is acutally a religious book. Shocker! It tells the tale of a father whose daughter is kidnapped and murdered and the trouble he has with his relationship with God afterward. He has a spiritual experience in which he meets God (well, the Holy Trinity, really) and is able to ask the hard questions.


First Thoughts:
I was almost scared of the book. How can God answer the hard questions the father had? How can He let something like that happen to a child? I didn't think the book would be able to answer these questions and I did not want to be disappointed. My mom kept saying, "It will work out, just keep reading."


Final Thoughts: 
I was talking to my friend Elizabeth about the book and it's meaning. She summed it up pretty well: "He loves us and He gave us free will, which some people abuse and do horrible things with." Well that still doesn't make it ok, right? I did feel a little more at peace after finishing the book, but not 100%. I guess that will have to do for now. I think I will need to re-read the book when something devastating happens and see how I feel. I also ear-marked some good points of the book that I will share later. Overall, a good spiritual book to read that is not too in-your-face.

No comments:

Post a Comment