Friday, December 9, 2011

Gus!

Move over, Johnny! There is a new man in my life! Meet the newest addition to our family: Gus

Background: Johnny and I have always LOVED English Bulldogs. That is actually how we started talking again after college. On my Facebook profile (remember when people used to read the profiles? Remember when that was all that Facebook was?), my interests included "my future English Bulldog Georgia." Johnny messaged me one day randomly talking about how he liked English Bulldogs too. We chatted back and forth for awhile before he finally asked me out and the rest is history! Anywho, for the past few months, he has been looking up pets online religiously. He'll show me pictures and ask what I think. I was hesitant to get a dog while living on the second floor of our building. I wanted to wait until we were in a house-house to get a dog so that I wouldn't have to get dressed or put on shoes to let him out. Yeah, I'm pretty lazy. 

On Monday, Johnny showed me a picture of an English Bulldog on his phone and asked if I liked him. I said "Oh, he's so cute," thinking it was just him doing his nightly research. Then he responds with, "Well I told the guy that if he was still available on Thursday that you and I would go get him." I was like "What? Ahhhhhhhhh!" I loved him immediately. 

Details: this little nugget is 8 months old from Dickinson. Johnny says that he is a country dog that needs to get used to city life. The family just couldn't take care of him anymore so they put him for sale. I like the idea of getting a young dog, but not too puppy-ish. Puppy teeth are really sharp and you have to train them from the beginning. I also like that he is a semi-rescue. One of the bulldog rescue sites I frequent always has dogs that are literally dumped on the side of the road because people can't care for them. So it's a win-win for both of us. 

This is weird. 
1. I never let myself get too excited because I was afraid it could be a scam. What if we showed up and the dog was sick? Or they wanted extra cash on the spot? Luckily, that didn't happen. We met the husband and wife in the Kroger parking lot in Dickinson (south on the Gulf Freeway, past the Ritz if you're interested), and they were very nice. 
2. What if I wasn't a good Mommy? What if he didn't love me? Well, I think he loves us. Well, he really loves food and we give him food so if A=B and B=C then A=C. 

I mean, how cute?


What we have learned about him so far:
1. He makes a MESS when drinking his water.

2. He LOVES his Kong.

3. He is interested in everything. I was trying to get a picture of him under the table chewing his Kong but he saw me and charged!

4. Did I mention he loves his Kong?

5. He snores... as expected for bulldogs. Because of the anatomy of their airways, they just makes lots of noises.

6. He is very friendly! He loves to be pet and loved-on and for his tummy to be rubbed. He met lots of new dogs at Petsmart and in our building and was so sweet. He is not aggressive at all and just wants to sniff and play. 

We are crate-training him. He will stay in his crate when we are gone and to sleep. When we left last night to go to Celebration at church he whined and it broke my heart! He was so happy to see us when we got home. When it was bedtime, he whined in his crate for about 20 minutes (I have a recording of his pitiful whimper) then fell fast asleep. I woke up at 4AM to go to the bathroom and he didn't even notice, some guard dog! I laid awake for over an hour worrying about him and his life and if he's happy and healthy and if he loves us. I guess that is what crazy mothers do. When my alarm went off this morning, I had to wake him up! He was very excited to be awake with me and gobbled up his food in no time flat. I'll stop babbling like an obsessed parent and leave you with this cutie pic.

His ears flop back when he looks up. I am so in love.




No comments:

Post a Comment