Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Rome! Part 1

I have a new love: Rome. This was definitely one of my top places to have ever visited in Europe and I will be returning. 


Once we were done in Tuscany, we headed to Rome. Abbey had to head back to work, so Erin, Jennifer and I were left to our own. Abbey had booked us at this hostel in Rome (which I would not recommend so I'll move on). Once we were settled into our digs, we started our visit to Rome with a free walking tour. All major European cities have free walking tours and I think it's a great way to get around. Plus, it's free! They just ask for a little tip at the end. We're talking 5 Euros here. It is led by locals or ex-pats who have some great info and are very entertaining. We did the New Rome Free Tour and I loved it! The tour started in the evening so we finished once it was dark, it was beautiful! Here are the highlights:


The Spanish Steps

The Pantheon

Trevi Fountain

Tossing the coin!

After the tour, our guide suggested a nearby restaurant with (literally) over 100 types of spaghetti. It was delish!

 Our table!

Monday morning, we started the day at the Colosseum with a guided tour. We looked look Tourist McGees with our cool headsets. I had made fun of people doing tours like this before but it was really neat! You can walk away and look at stuff while still being able to hear the guide. See below:



It was beautiful! 

After the Colosseum, we were sick of standing up so we went to a rooftop hotel restaurant and enjoyed a bottle of Prosecco. Yum! 


No comments:

Post a Comment