Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I LOVE the Christmas season, but there is something about the togetherness of Thanksgiving that I love so much. My family has some fun traditions that I look forward to every year.


We start off Wednesday afternoon prepping all of the yummy food. We usually have 10-15 people at my parents' house for the big day so we need lots of grub. My dad and I always bake bread from scratch. He has baked bread for as long as I can remember and I have gotten into the habit over the past few years. My signature bread is a Beer Cheese Loaf from one of my dad's bread books. Next year, when I have a camera, I will do a step-by-step. It is actually easier than you think!

Our meal Thanksgiving-Eve night is always spaghetti, thanks to my Granny's tradition!

Thursday morning, we always go to the Houston Thanksgiving Day parade with a family friend of ours, the Coogan family. The mommies always stay home to cook while the kids and dads go to the parade. We have been doing for about 15 years. I was up all night before with a fever and night-chills so I skipped this year, my day just did not feel complete!

As far as the food goes, we always have 2 turkeys- one fried and one traditionally roasted. My dad does the frying and it is so fun to watch, as weird as that sounds! It is a pretty quick process and smells so yummy. 


My dad taught the boys how to carve the turkeys. 


Here is the spread of delish foods we had. Everything is homemade:
Starting at the bottom left dish, working clock-wise: stuffing from the oven, stuffing from inside of the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey (fried and roasted), green bean casserole, my Aunt Cookie's rice dressing (family and friend favorite), mashed sweet potatoes. We also had my Beer Cheese Bread, my dad's white bread, cranberry relish, cranberry sauce, and lots of yummy desserts. 

We finished the evening watching the Texas vs A&M game. Go 'Horns!

No comments:

Post a Comment