Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Poisonwood Bible

Book of Choice:
 The Poisonwood Bible
By: Barbara Kingsolver


Background: Poisonwood Bible was another book chosen by one of the girls in my book club. This is one of those "smart-people books" I was telling you about. To give you a clue, the girl who chose this book said it was her favorite work by this author. She is the type who refuses to read the Twilight series out of prinicple. That should give you some insite!


First Thoughts: TPB is about a southern baptist missionary family who sets out to the Congo to convert the natives to Christianity. They meet tremendous obstacles from many different facets: the people, their conflicting religious and cultural beliefs, the political turmoil in the Congo, the children. The book is told from the view point of all of the children, alternating chapters.


Final Thoughts: This was a loooonnnggg book. I read it on my Kindle so I never really knew how long. It takes awhile to get into. I could see some people getting bored after the first 100 pages and quitting. It was interesting but certainly not fast-paced. In the "Author's note", she says something about how she wrote the book when she was finally "mature" enough. If that is the case, I guess you could said I never really got the point of the story. Unless you are looking for some deep reading, you can skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment