Thursday, May 19, 2011

Redeeming Love

Book of Choice

Redeeming Love
By: Francine Rivers


Background: I had always heard this book was amazing but had never gotten around to reading it. I knew it was long but I bit the bullet and got it on my Kindle.


First Thoughts: This book is based on the biblical tale of Gomer and Hosea. Don't worry, I didn't recall that tale from Sunday School either. The story is set during the California Gold Rush in the 1850's. Angel (Gomer?) is a woman sold into prostitution during her childhood. She is angry and bitter and does not trust men. Michael (Hosea) comes into her life and takes her out of prostitution. She resists the new life Michael is trying to make for them. Michael persists: he speaks to God constantly and tries to follow his word. Angel is scared of a love like his: true and Godly.


Final Thoughts: In a way, this book was a devotional. Scripture and prayer were placed throughout the book showing Angel and Michael's communication with God. I think this was my first book to read from the "Christian fiction" genre and I loved it. It was long, and slow at times, but beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you FINALLY read this!! Good analysis of it.

    ReplyDelete