Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Glass Castle

Book of Choice: 
The Glass Castle 
By: Jeannette Walls


Background: This was a book chosen by my book club. I had heard some girls at work talk about it too so I was intrigued. The first few pages of the book set the stage and tone for the story: a woman is being chauffered from her Park Avenue apartment in NYC to a charity event and sees her homeless mother rifling through the garbage.


First Thoughts: Glass Castle is the true story of a girl who is raised in extreme poverty by idealistic parents who see nothing wrong with living in a car, a rotting house, or on the streets. The author tells the book as a flashback and goes into detail about the neglect and poverty the author and her 3 siblings have to endure. What makes the book so interesting is that her parents choose this lifestyle willingly and enjoy it!


Final Thoughts: I really loved the book. It was amazing to hear how at this girl and her siblings were raised and how they ended up. Brooke and I read it at the same time while on our trip to DC. She didn't like how most of the book was told in the past but I did not mind. Highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment