Wednesday, March 2, 2011

24-Karat Kids

I have recently become a semi-reader. When I say "recently," I mean since I graduated college in May 2008 (almost 3 years...yikes!) And when I say "semi-reader," I mean exactly that. I don't read every day, but I will finish a book or two a month. My sisters are the main reason for this. The oldest sister, Dawn, is a crazy good reader. She reads tons and is the best sister to have because I get to borrow all of her books. Just kidding... she's a great sister to have for many reasons, but that is def a top 3 reason. But honeslty, I can't remember the last time I actually bought a book. Unfortunately, that is all going to change because she jumped on the Kindle train and her real-book supply is running out. Tear. I will say, she knows all of the cool books before they are cool. I read Twilight before I/anyone had heard of it. I remember reading it during our Ike days at the hospital (I lived at TCH for 72 hours, moving on...) and people thought it was so weird that I was reading a vampire book. Now, I'm done with this tangent so I will continue. 

I wanted to start a blog section about books I've read. Just so there is no let down of expectations, I am going to qualify myself and say that I don't read many (any) smart-people books like Jane Eyre. I don't want to get too deep, I'd rather simply be entertained. The Twilight series (pre-Twilight-mania) was right up my alley. Quick, fun, with a little romance. If you're looking for something to make you question the meaning of life, you probably should stop reading right now. Adios.




On to the first book I have chosen: 24-Karat Kids


Background: My most recent book was 24-Karat Kids by Julie Goldstein and Sebastian Stuart. It is about this chick, Shelley Green, who is from a big middle-class family in Queens. She graduates from med-school to be hired by the top Upper East Side pediatric group in Manhattan. She is faced with the new job of doctoring kids of super-rich, crazy, and over-parenting socialites. Shelley soon begins to enjoy the lifestyle this new practice, and these new friends, bring. When a new man comes in the mix, she begins to question what this new lifestyle is truly doing to her. 

First Thoughts: The front of the book compares it to The Devil Wears Prada. Emily says, "Hmm, sounds great. I loved The Devil Wears Prada, and I even read it after I saw the movie."

Final Thoughts: I luuuurved The Devil Wears Prada (loved). This book was NOT The Devil Wears Prada. By. Any. Means. I was let down. I'm really not one to complain about books, movies, restaurants, but for realz. It was one of those books that you're reading and hoping it's over soon so you can move on to another better, more interesting book. If you are looking for a quick read, this is it. I just was not a fan.

I'll quit being a Debbie Downer right about now and seguway into a glimpse of my next review. Drumroll please... Mockingjay! This is the final book in a 3-book series titled The Hugner Games. Review coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh I like that you're doing book reviews now!! Definitely keep this up because I hate to cook but I love to read!

    ReplyDelete