Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hurricane Irene vs. My Trip

Johnny and I have had a cruise to the Bahamas planned for about 6 months. We are set to leave out of Miami next Monday for 5 days of sun, sea, sand, and sssss-bear (Sorry, I couldn't think of a drink I like that starts with an "S"). Our plan was to fly to Miami two days prior with another friend-couple to do absolutely nothing but lay on the beach. Imagine:

Followed by:

And:

And:

However, we have a slight problem: Hurricane Irene

This is the first hurricane of the season, so naturally she decides to crash through the Bahamas right before we get there. Miami should be fine, just some rain before our flight lands. The islands... I am not too sure. I knew when we planned this trip that it was during hurricane season. But the thought that all of the kids would be back in school was just too tempting. During my planning, I read the cruise line's policy regarding hurricanes. Basically, if a hurricane makes it impossible to go to your destination, you will be rerouted. After seeing this from Weather.Com I am 99% sure we will be going elsewhere. Um yes, the Bahamas threat level is 1 level below "Catastrophic":

It makes me really sad that we will not be taking the trip we imagined. What is FAR worse, however, is what is sure to be the devastation the country will feel. So, I will be thankful that my home and family are safe and that we will enjoy spending our time somewhere else... I'll keep you updated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment