Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Use of Panko

Problem: After buying all of the ingredients for the Asian Turkey Meatballs, I felt guilty about only using a small amount of the panko (Asian breadcrumbs). Solution: Supercook.com. You go to this website, enter an ingredient you have on hand, and it will give you a compilation of recipes from various websites that use this ingredient. Perfecto! 

Don't get me wrong, I know these next two recipes (mainly the gratin) are less than healthy... BUT when you make it at home, you get to modify and make it as healthy/unhealthy as you want. Win-win if you ask me. Let's get started. 

Ingrdients: Ummmmmmmm

  • Pesto (I got store-made pesto because I don't have a food processor, HINT HINT)
  • Panko
  • Fish (any white fish such as cod, halibut)
1. Pat the fish dry. (easy enough)
2. Top the fish with pesto and some panko
3. Bake at 350 until fish is cooked through (my fish monger said 7 minutes per inch of thickness, well I had to bake for about 15 minutes)

Note: I used about 1/2 of the butter/cheese/panko that Martha suggested. It still tasted amaze. I also made 1/2 of the recipes, hence the missing ingredients in the picture.
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 medium sized zucchini
  • 2 medium sized yellow squash
  • 2 shallots
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • S&P
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (I used half-and-half that I had on hand)
  • 1 cup panko
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Prep your ingredients: cut the zucchini and squash into 1/2 inch slices, mince the shallots and garlic.
2. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add zucchini, squash, shallots, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini and squash are crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
3. Add cream, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir in 1/2 cup panko and cup Parmesan
4. Spoon mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining panko and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Bake at 450 until top is golden, 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment